Skip to main content

Final Blog: My Online Presence



What Do Employers See When They Search Your Name On Google?

Below are screenshots of what would come up on google when an employer would search my name in relation to social media. All of my accounts are public and every post, like, and comment would be visible to my future employers. 

I would consider my online footprint to be pretty large. I have a personal social media account on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, VSCO, and a professional website to promote and sell products on my personal Arbonne website. On my social media accounts, I express my political and social views and allow my voice to be heard, while attempting to be respectful of other people's views as well. Someone looking at my social media accounts could probably find out a lot of personal information on me such as my family, where I live or am at the moment, places I have worked, and people who I hang out with or interact with on social media every day. 

I have seen many of my friend's posts words on social media that I do not think should be there. In addition to being careful myself, I also do my best to hold my friends accountable. I know that employers would be able to see accounts that I interact with a lot, and if there were inappropriate or offensive comments on their pages, it could also reflect badly on me. I am careful about words that I use and photos that I post on social media because I try to leave the most positive digital footprint on the internet that I can. Although I am careful, I think I should do routine checks on my social media to ensure there is never anything on there that I do not feel represents me in the most authentic and positive light.

When reading this article, I related to the feeling of wondering what your parents have posted of you. Looking back at my parent's or my friend's parent's facebook accounts, you can find photos that you didn't even know were taken. It is scary after learning more about privacy and safety online because previously I have never thought anything about giving companies my name, phone number, debit card number, home address, and shipping address when ordering products or services online. I now would consider using and fake name when having things delivered to my house. I would like to change my accounts to private, but when trying to promote my business, I want my posts to get the most exposure possible. It is important to continue learning about the safest way to have a positive digital footprint without sacrificing your privacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Blog: 4th of July in Washington, DC

This Wasn't a Normal 4th of July Holiday for Many Americans While many Americans experienced 4th of July differently this year, with closed beaches in California, no firework shows in much of New England to discourage crowds gatherings, and parades being canceled, other Americans gathered on the lawn at the President's invite despite spiking coronavirus numbers nationwide and outrage for many Black Americans who were not granted freedom until June 19, 1868, almost 92 years after July 4, 1776. Enslaved Black Americans watched 4th of July celebrations of freedom for their fellow White Americans for almost 100 years before being granted freedom themselves. This has been a new topic discussed on social media within the past few weeks and with the current political climate, was never, to my knowledge, addressed by the current President. The President named the event that took place yesterday on the lawn "Salute to America." It's almost as if he is asking us t

Blog #3: Current Event

Freedom of Speech Being Denied by Police Force While we have seen protestors swarm the streets the country, in small suburbs to big cities, the police have met peaceful protestors with violent forces such as teargas, rubber bullets, and arrests. It is undeniable that destruction was done by looters and rioters as well, but when people peacefully protesting are being stripped aware of their First Amendment rights, more anger began to stir in these communities. Peacefully protesting is protected by the First Amendment in the following lines: "abridging the freedom of speech...or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." In this scenario, protestors are having their voices heard; they are doing so peaceful. And they are asking for change within our police and law enforcement systems after the murder of George Floyd by Minneapolis police. This specific  article  gives light to a situation that took place

Blog 4: Black Lives Matter

Should We Be Scared to Demand Justice? When reading this article , a few sections held a heavy weight when it came to the rights each citizen has that are protected by the First Amendment. First, rioting, in its pure definition, is not protected by the First Amendment, but peaceably assembly is. In addition, the riots during this time and acts that they were making at these protests were acts of expressive action to enact reform in our government, its policies, and its law enforcement, and would be protected my the First Amendment. Second and probably often overlooked in scenarios like this one, freedom of speech would apply to attorneys being allowed to wear "Black Lives Matter" pins in courtrooms since that is public property. If violence is not taking place at a peaceful protest, why is there the need for added fear from police or military in combat or riot gear? Does the fear that they inflict on us as citizens infringe on our First Amendment right to peaceably assem